WHAT: Children and Young People Annual Unconference
WHEN: March 24, 2017 9:30 AM- 3:30 PM
WHERE: Heritage Library, 20085 Heritage Drive, Lakeville, MN 55044 - (952) 891-0360
What’s an Unconference?
The Children and Young People’s Section of the Minnesota Library Association invites you to our Annual Unconference event. What’s an Unconference? It’s a conference where we’ll hear from marvelous Minnesota children’s librarians on their areas of expertise. This is a chance to share what we know best, and a place to ask questions and share ideas and best practices.
Who Should Attend?
This is a day of learning for anyone who cares about children and libraries. That includes children’s librarians, teen librarians, paraprofessionals, and those aspiring to work with kids in libraries!
What’s the deal with lunch? That’s up to you! We will not be offering a catered lunch option but there are several restaurants in the area. If you wish to bring your own lunch, there will be access to a refrigerator.
This conference is FREE to members, and $10 for non-members but we do ask that you let us know you’re coming by registering. A certificate of attendance is available on request, but CEUs are not available for this event.
9:45am Welcome and CYP Update with Monica Stratton
10:00am Dr. Mike Troy, Clinical Psychologist with the Children’s Hospital of Minnesota, will offer a presentation on brain development in children, birth-3. He will highlight points from The Foundation for Life, a document he co-wrote. His full biography can be found here : https://www.childrensmn.org/applications/findadoctor/profile/132603524/michael-f-troy-lp-phd/
11:30am Baby Storytime panel discussion with four Twin Cities’ children’s librarians :
- Mary Healy, Anoka County Library Centennial Branch Manager
- Jill Smith, Director of the Bayport Library
- Sarah Rosten, Children’s Librarian with Washington County Library
- Sarah Iverson, Children’s Librarian with Dakota County Library
- Sue Tracy, Children's Librarian with Hennepin County Library
12:30pm Lunch (attendees will have the opportunity to leave the library and find lunch on their own)
1:30pm Breakout Discussion Session #1
Topics may include :
- Baby Storytime extended discussion
- Serving immigrant families in our communities
- Passive programming for all ages
- Reader’s Advisory for graphic novel collections
- Programming for teens : what works? best practices for promotion
2:30pm Breakout Discussion Session #2
- Topics similar to those listed above
3:15pm Wrap-up and door prizes
If you have questions, please contact Monica Stratton at email@example.com.